Carroll Hunting Lodge
Years later, in the mid-nineteenth century, the property formed a part of a light industrial complex of snuff and tobacco mills along the Western Run.
The great flood of 1868 caused much damage to the mill property, and this imposing structure is the one surviving building. It is an excellent example of Maryland eighteenth architecture in its symmetry and simplicity; the roughness and heaviness of its construction suggest how remote this area was, at the time, from the sophistication of Baltimore City.
Erected by The GWFC Woman’s Club of Mt. Washington, Sponsor; William Donald Schaefer, Mayor.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Government & Politics
Location. 39° 21.9′ N, 76° 40.428′ W. Marker is in Western Run Park in Baltimore, Maryland. Marker is on Greenspring Avenue north of Pimlico Road, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 5914 Greenspring Avenue, Baltimore MD 21209, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. First Boy Scout Armory (approx. half a mile away); Mt. Washington Mill (approx. 1.3 miles away); Mount Washington Mill (approx. 1.3 miles away); Veterans Memorial (approx. 1.4 miles away); Ruscombe (approx. 1.4 miles away); Quarry Lake at Greenspring (approx. 1.6 miles away); History of The Greenspring Quarry (approx. 1.6 miles away); Fire Power (approx. 1.9 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on April 17, 2020. It was originally submitted on April 29, 2017, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 458 times since then and 244 times this year. Last updated on March 3, 2018, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on April 29, 2017, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.