Easton in Northampton County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Phoenix Hose Company
Has been placed on the
of Historic Places
by the United States
Department of the Interior
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Charity & Public Work.
Location. 40° 41.39′ N, 75° 12.473′ W. Marker is in Easton, Pennsylvania, in Northampton County. Marker is at the intersection of Ferry Street and South Sitgreaves Street, on the left when traveling east on Ferry Street. Marker is a National Register of Historic Places plaque, mounted at eye-level on the wall at the southwest corner of the subject building. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 219 Ferry Street, Easton PA 18042, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Samuel Phillippe (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Great Square (about 600 feet away); The Declaration of Independence in Easton (about 600 feet away); Indian Peace Treaties (about Northampton County’s First Court House (about 600 feet away); Sullivan’s March (about 600 feet away); Civil War Memorial (about 600 feet away); Founding of Easton and Northampton County (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Easton.
Also see . . . A Brief History of the Easton Fire Department.
On February 14, 1797, the Humane Fire Company was organized and became Easton’s first fire company. During the period of time between the founding of the Humane Fire Company in 1797 and the establishment of the full-time paid department in 1879, numerous other fire companies appeared in the Borough. The first of these was the Phoenix Fire Company. Organized on January 24, 1824, they were first housed behind the old County House. In 1858, they moved to 219 Ferry Street (this buiding). In 1858 the Phoenix Fire Company purchased the first alarm bell in the city. In 1865 they purchased the first steam-powered fire engine in the Lehigh Valley. In order to pay for this equipment, the members of the Phoenix Fire Company hauled merchandise and sprinkled the Borough’s streets with water. (Submitted on March 5, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on March 8, 2018. It was originally submitted on March 5, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 142 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on March 5, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.