Concord in Merrimack County, New Hampshire — The American Northeast (New England)
Originally in the tower of the Board of Trade building at School and North Main Streets, the Concord Clock was manufactured by E. Howard Co., Boston, Massachusetts, and purchased in 1872 through public subscription. The cast steel bell, made in Sheffield, England, strikes hourly in the key of G, and was given to the City of Concord by George Pillsbury in 1873.
After years of neglect, in 1998 the clock was restored and reinstalled on this site for the people of Concord by the New Hampshire Historical Society.
Erected 1998 by New Hampshire Historical Society.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Charity & Public Work. A significant historical year for this entry is 1872.
Location. 43° 12.411′ N, 71° 32.18′ W. Marker is in Concord, New Hampshire, in Merrimack County. Marker is at the intersection of North Main Street (U.S. 3) and Capitol Street, on the right when traveling north on North Main Street. Marker is a metal plaque mounted at eye level directly on a supporting pillar of the clock tower exhibit. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 90 North Main Street, Concord NH 03301, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Main Street's Origins (a few steps from this marker); Isaac A. Hill (a few steps from this marker); Site of Home of Isaac Hill (a few steps from this marker); Concord's Architectural Heritage (within shouting distance of this marker); State House Grounds (within shouting distance of this marker); Franklin Pierce (within shouting distance of this marker); In Grateful Tribute (within shouting distance of this marker); Dedicated to You, A Free Citizen in a Free Land (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Concord.
Also see . . . The Clock Tower.
After World War II, the bell of history tolled for Concord’s bright and vibrant downtown. Residents dismissed the commercial buildings as “old brick shells,” and one consultant labeled North Main Street an “unsightly canyon." In 1950, two stories were lopped off of the top of the Board of Trade building, and the floors that survived received a Colonial remodeling. The parts of the clock were lost. McGowan, who filled the entrance to Eagle Square with scraps of historic architecture, scoured the country for the old clock. The bell was found in a Michigan flea market. Volunteers raised $150,000 for its preservation, (Submitted on April 3, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on December 23, 2020. It was originally submitted on April 3, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 239 times since then and 45 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on April 3, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. 5. submitted on May 20, 2018, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.