In late February 1961, the LSU Board of Supervisors chose a name for the first new permanent building to be constructed on the campus, selecting Oakland Hall in honor of Oakland Plantation, the land on which the campus was located.
Construction began on the new building that semester and established a historical landmark. Oakland Hall was the first building in Louisiana constructed using the "lift slab post tension" method. All floors and the roof were constructed of concrete poured and cured at ground level before any of them were lifted into place. The roof, which was raised first, was elevated by using jacks placed on top of pre-stressed concrete columns already constructed. Gables were connected from the jacks to pieces of metal imbedded in the concrete, and the roof
and floors of the building were carefully maneuvered into place.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Education • Notable Buildings.
Location. 31° 10.675′ N, 92° 24.986′ W. Marker is in Alexandria, Louisiana, in Rapides Parish. Marker
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Headquarters 1st Calvary Division, Army of West La., May 8, 1864 (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Edwin Epps House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Epps House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Oakland Plantation (approx. 0.2 miles away); a different marker also named Epps House (approx. ¼ mile away); Lecompte High School (approx. 6.2 miles away); Town of Lecompte (approx. 6.3 miles away); The Name Lecompte (approx. 6.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Alexandria.
More about this marker. Located on the LSU-Alexndria (LSUA) Campus
Credits. This page was last revised on April 7, 2018. It was originally submitted on April 7, 2018, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 111 times since then and 11 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 7, 2018.