Lower Oswego Creek Bridge
Mary Goodall, Oregon's Iron Dream, (1958, p. 76)
By 1911 the truss bridge, pictured here, was covered with a roof and wails for protection from the elements and remained in use until the concrete Pacific Highway Bridge of 1920 was completed. Thereafter the covered bridge was used by those on foot until it rotted and collapsed in the 1930s. Following World War II a replacement was built and used until 1975 when it became unstable and was removed by the National Guard. The bridge you now see was erected by the City of Lake Oswego and beckons you to stroll along the banks of the Willamette.
Erected 2010 by Oswego Heritage Council.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Bridges & Viaducts
Location. 45° 24.629′ N, 122° 39.645′ W. Marker is in Lake Oswego, Oregon, in Clackamas County. Marker is on Old River Road east of Green Street, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Lake Oswego OR 97034, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Oswego Landing (a few steps from this marker); The First People (a few steps from this marker); Salamander (within shouting distance of this marker); the man from k̓ašxəʼkšix returned with eels to feed his people (within shouting distance of this marker); Green Street (within shouting distance of this marker); Old Town (approx. 0.2 miles away); Iron Company Worker's Cottage (approx. 0.2 miles away); George Rogers House - 1929 (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lake Oswego.
More about this marker. The bridge is found at the south end of the lower parking lot in George Rogers Park.
Credits. This page was last revised on April 9, 2018. It was originally submitted on April 9, 2018, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. This page has been viewed 98 times since then and 24 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 9, 2018, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California.