First United Methodist Church
The first recorded Methodist activity in Orange was in 1859, when the Rev. Valerious C. Canon was sent here from the Woodville District. By 1871, Orange was on a circuit which included Hardin, Jefferson and Orange Counties. According to legend, one of the first circuit riders, the Rev. Daniel Morse, supplemented his preaching income by hunting alligators in nearby swamps and marshes and selling the hides. For that reason, this became known as the "Alligator Circuit".
The First Methodist Church was organized in 1873 with 44 Charter Members. The congregation erected a small frame church on College Street and shared their building with other denominations. A Sunday school was established in 1879. Initially classified as a mission, this fellowship became self-supporting in 1884. The Rev. W. H. Crawford served as the first full-time pastor.
Fire destroyed the original church building in 1886. The ladies and society helped raise funds for a new frame church situated at the corner of Border and Henderson Streets. Completed in 1892, it was moved to this location in 1912 and replaced by the present sanctuary in 1921. By 1978 this congregation
Erected 1978 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 11481.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion.
Location. 30° 5.659′ N, 93° 44.124′ W. Marker is in Orange, Texas, in Orange County. Marker is on North Sixth Street near West Elm Avenue, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 502 North 6th Street, Orange TX 77630, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. First Baptist Church of Orange (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Woman's Club of Orange (about 500 feet away); W.H. Stark House (about 500 feet away); Leonard Frederick Benckenstein (about 600 feet away); Ever Changing Landscapes (about 600 feet away); History of Rotary International (about 700 feet away); History of Orange, Texas Rotary Club (about 700 feet away); Henry Jacob Lutcher Stark (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Orange.
Credits. This page was last revised on April 13, 2018. It was originally submitted on April 12, 2018, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 87 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 12, 2018.