William Henry Stark
A native of San Augustine County, William Henry Stark (1851-1936) lived in Burkeville and Newton before moving to Orange in 1870. Here he worked in the early area sawmills and became acquainted with every phase of the lumber industry.
In 1881 Stark married Miriam Melissa Lutcher (1859-1936), the daughter of Henry Jacob Lutcher, a partner in the Lutcher and Moore Lumber Company. Stark joined his father-in-law's firm and, because of his knowledge of milling operations, was soon placed in charge of two mills in Louisiana.
Stark's success in the lumber industry led him to invest in other businesses, including iron and coal production, real estate, and ranching. His progressive ideas, including deep water ports on the Sabine River and an irrigation system that provided stimulus for the region's rice industry, led to increased growth for the city of Orange. Stark also served as a regent for the University of Texas, 1911-15, an office later held by his son Lutcher Stark, who became chairman of the University Board.
The many contributions W. H. Stark made to Orange are reflected in the city's steady growth, industrial strength, and community
Erected 1982 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 11520.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Education • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 30° 5.532′ N, 93° 44.105′ W. Marker is in Orange, Texas, in Orange County. Marker is on Main Avenue west of Fifth Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 610 Main Avenue, Orange TX 77630, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Ever Changing Landscapes (within shouting distance of this marker); W.H. Stark House (within shouting distance of this marker); Henry Jacob Lutcher Stark (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Henry Jacob Lutcher (about 400 feet away); History of Rotary International (about 400 feet away); History of Orange, Texas Rotary Club (about 400 feet away); First Baptist Church of Orange (about 400 feet away); Leonard Frederick Benckenstein (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Orange.
Credits. This page was last revised on December 22, 2019. It was originally submitted on April 13, 2018, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 132 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 13, 2018. 3. submitted on February 11, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas.