Littleton in Grafton County, New Hampshire — The American Northeast (New England)
Littleton Public Library
After four attempts, a permanent public library was established in 1890. From rented quarters, it moved to the new Town Building in 1895. In 1902, to meet philanthropist Andrew Carnegie’s conditions, the Town pledged $1,500 per year for operations and vowed to buy land for a library building. The former home of jeweler Charles Hodgman (1836-1895) and an adjacent parcel were obtained. With Carnegie’s gift of $15,000, the building was completed in 1906. It houses the Kilburn collection of White Mountain art and the world’s second largest collection of Kilburn stereoscopic views. Visually, the library presents an eclectic blend of Georgian and neoclassical styles with decorations of a richness rare for a structure of its size.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Charity & Public Work. A significant historical year for this entry is 1890.
Location. 44° 18.426′ N, 71° 46.415′ W. Marker is in Littleton, New Hampshire, in Grafton County. Marker is on Main Street (U.S. 302) east of School Street, on the left when traveling east. Marker is a metal plaque mounted Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 92 Main Street, Littleton NH 03561, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Bugbee Block (within shouting distance of this marker); Parker's Marketplace (within shouting distance of this marker); Thayer's White Mountain Hotel (within shouting distance of this marker); Host to History (within shouting distance of this marker); A Legendary Landmark (within shouting distance of this marker); Littleton War Memorial (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Brackett Block (about 300 feet away); Rounsevel Building (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Littleton.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. Littleton, New Hampshire Historic Buildings
Also see . . .
1. Littleton Public Library. New England Carnegies website entry:
1902: Andrew Carnegie gave $15,000 to the town to build the library.
Designed by Robert Coit of Boston
Classical Revival Style
1906: The library was opened to the public.
1960: Interior renovations took place.
1998: The American Library Association voted this facility as the #1 Small Library in the United States. (Submitted on April 13, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. Pollyanna of Littleton, New Hampshire.
Pollyanna of Littleton - New Hampshire's most welcoming attraction is the centerpiece of historic downtown as an ambassador of cheer and community spirit for residents and visitors alike. Littleton's jubilant bronze sculpture tributes hometown author, Eleanor H. Porter (1868 – 1920) best remembered as the creator of the world's most optimistic character, Pollyanna, 1913. (Submitted on April 13, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on April 24, 2021. It was originally submitted on April 13, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 100 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on April 13, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.