Littleton in Grafton County, New Hampshire — The American Northeast (New England)
Ira Parker (1846-1938) built a house here in 1885. He had left his family’s tannery in 1866 to make gloves. By 1889 he had become general manager of the Saranac Buck Glove Company, the town’s major manufacturer. Parker sold his share in Saranac in 1898, and his 20-room Queen Anne mansion became an inn, Elliot Hall. In 1920, the inn was bought by the Father Daniel O’Neil Council No. 1835 of the Knights of Columbus for its headquarters. Local businessmen created Parker’s Marketplace in 1987, which preserves much of the original interior while incorporating Main Street’s visual themes on the exterior.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Fraternal or Sororal Organizations • Industry & Commerce. A significant historical year for this entry is 1885.
Location. 44° 18.425′ N, 71° 46.452′ W. Marker is in Littleton, New Hampshire, in Grafton County. Marker is on Main Street (U.S. 302) west of School Street, on the right when traveling west. Marker is a metal plaque, mounted at eye-level directly on the subject building. Marker is mounted just to the left of the main front Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 106 Main Street, Littleton NH 03561, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Thayer's White Mountain Hotel (a few steps from this marker); Host to History (within shouting distance of this marker); A Legendary Landmark (within shouting distance of this marker); Littleton War Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Littleton Public Library (within shouting distance of this marker); Bugbee Block (within shouting distance of this marker); U.S. Post Office and Courthouse (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Masonic Temple (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Littleton.
Regarding Parker's Marketplace. This historic building currently houses a restaurant and bar called "Bailiwicks."
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. Littleton, New Hampshire Historic Buildings
Also see . . . Parker's Marketplace.
(Link presents photographs, including the Parker Mansion as it looked in the 1920s.) The Parkers were tanners who became glove makers. Ira Parker secured the rights to an improved tanning process and personally traveled to buy deer hides for his gloves. In 1889, he oversaw the merger of his and two other glove companies into the Saranac Buck Glove Company, which, by 1900, (Submitted on April 14, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on February 16, 2023. It was originally submitted on April 14, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 242 times since then and 24 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 14, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.