Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Near Erie in Erie County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

The Bell Tower and Carillon

 
 
The Bell Tower and Carillon Marker image. Click for full size.
By Devry Jones, April 11, 2018
1. The Bell Tower and Carillon Marker
Inscription.  The Bell Tower and Carillon is a gift to St. Jude the Apostle Parish from Herbert and Audrey Emig Sweny and children in memory of the Deceased Sweny and Emig Families.

The three bronze bells originally hung in the tower of St. Michael's Church, Erie, until fire destroyed that church in 1973. At that time, the bells were transferred to Gannon University from whom St. Jude's secured them in 1990.

The middle bell is the oldest of the three, having been cast in 1855 as the original bell for St. Michael's Church. Weighing 1,000 pounds, it is cast in the key of G Sharp and is dedicated to St. Michael the Archangel. Its single peal served St. Michael's Church until two more bells were added in 1902.

The largest bell, weighing 2,000 pounds and set in the key of E, is dedicated to St. James. It and the smallest bell, weighing 600 pounds and cast in the key of B, were cast by the McShane Bell Foundry, Baltimore, Maryland, in 1902 and placed in the tower of St. Michael's Church. The three bells were among a handful of items salvaged when the fire completely destroyed the church in 1973.

With gratitude to the Sweny
The Bell Tower and Carillon Marker image. Click for full size.
By Devry Jones, April 11, 2018
2. The Bell Tower and Carillon Marker
and Emig Families for this gift, to the foresight of St. Michael's Parish in having commissioned such magnificent bells and to the glory of God for whom these bells toll, this tower is dedicated December 8, 1994, the Feast of the Immaculate Conception of Mary.

Monsignor Henry A. Kriegel,
Pastor
 
Erected 1994.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Arts, Letters, MusicChurches & Religion.
 
Location. 42° 6.321′ N, 80° 8.937′ W. Marker is near Erie, Pennsylvania, in Erie County. Marker is at the intersection of West 6th Street and Peninsula Drive (Pennsylvania Route 832), on the left when traveling west on West 6th Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2801 West 6th Street, Erie PA 16505, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Giant Gondola Wheel (approx. half a mile away); A Walk in the Park (approx. 1.2 miles away); The Barracks (approx. 1.4 miles away); Leo's Landing (approx. 1˝ miles away); Perry's Shipyards (approx. 2˝ miles away); The Old Road (approx. 2˝ miles away); The Lawrence and Niagara (approx. 2˝ miles away); Cascade Creek (approx. 2.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Erie.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on March 18, 2019. It was originally submitted on April 15, 2018, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 157 times since then and 83 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on April 15, 2018, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement
Aug. 7, 2020