Bethlehem in Grafton County, New Hampshire — The American Northeast (New England)
This house was built in 1837. I. Gardner Ramsdell sold the home to Isaac Cruft, Bethlehem business leader, for $1300. Mr. Cruft had built and operated the Maplewood Hotel from 1865 to 1890. He also built The Cruft Block accoss Main Street from the Sinclair Hotel. The house became a part of the Sinclair Hotel, a 300 guest resort built in 1865. From the late 1940's until 1976, the house, known as the Sinclair Lodge, was used as family living quarters by Myron Herrman, a co-owner of the Sinclair Hotel. The property later served as a summer home for the Herrman family. Currently, it is the year round residence of a member of the Herrman family.
Erected by Bethlehem Redevelopment Association.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce. A significant historical year for this entry is 1837.
Location. 44° 16.805′ N, 71° 41.364′ W. Marker is in Bethlehem, New Hampshire, in Grafton County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street (U.S. 302) and Church Street, on the right when traveling east on Main Street. Marker is mounted Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2058 Main Street, Bethlehem NH 03574, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Site of Sinclair Hotel (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Angel of the Mountains (about 600 feet away); Town Building (about 600 feet away); Jodo Karate (about 800 feet away); Fanny’s Little Playhouse (approx. 2.2 miles away); Frances Glessner Lee (approx. 2.3 miles away); Pierce Bridge (approx. 3 miles away); Alderbrook (approx. 3.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bethlehem.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. The Sinclair Hotel
Also see . . . Hotel Era: The Sinclair Hotel.
During the modern era, the owners of the New Agassiz Hotel, Louis Michnoff and Dora Spiwack, purchased the Sinclair Hotel in 1937. The property now included the Sinclair Hotel, the Agassiz Hotel, and the adjoining Fairlawn Hotel. The business began to cater to the Jewish clientele. The hotel changed hands on more time, in 1946. It was then owned by Myron Herrman and David Spiwack. The hotel attracted guests from Boston, New York City and Montreal, Canada. Guests would stay for days or weeks at a time, enjoying sports activities and entertainment, (Submitted on April 17, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on October 21, 2020. It was originally submitted on April 17, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 159 times since then and 29 times this year. Last updated on April 17, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on April 17, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.