Newport in Jackson County, Arkansas — The American South (West South Central)
Jackson County First Court House
Erected 1936 by the Arkansas Centennial Comm. / Arkansas History Comm. (Marker Number G-3.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Government & Politics • Political Subdivisions. In addition, it is included in the Arkansas Centennial Commission series list.
Location. 35° 36.258′ N, 91° 16.965′ W. Marker is in Newport, Arkansas, in Jackson County. Marker is at the intersection of 3rd Street and Main Street, on the right when traveling west on 3rd Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 200 Main Street, Newport AR 72112, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 4 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Shelling of Jacksonport (approx. 2.9 Jackson County Courthouse (approx. 2.9 miles away); Surrender at Jacksonport (approx. 2.9 miles away); Jacksonport in the Civil War (approx. 2.9 miles away).
Regarding Jackson County First Court House. The courthouse is a Late Victorian brick building, with a protruding three-story square tower. It was built in 1892, and is one of the state's oldest courthouses. It was apparently based in part on the Ouachita County courthouse (since demolished), but its architect is not known.
Credits. This page was last revised on April 20, 2018. It was originally submitted on April 20, 2018, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 75 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 20, 2018, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Photo of courthouse after renovation is completed. • Can you help?