Liberty Methodist Church
Members worshiped at the Courthouse, in home or brush arbors until 1846, when they built a log church. After it was destroyed by a storm, the congregation moved to its present location and built a one-room frame structure in 1854. The church acquired a bell in 1873 from the steamboat "Black Cloud", which sank in the Trinity River. This bell is still in use. In 1904 a new two-room frame edifice was constructed. It was replaced in 1930 by a two-story brick structure, which became an education building after a new sanctuary was erected in 1953.
This congregation participates in many community events, including the "Brotherhood Banquet", sponsored by the men's Bible class
Erected 1977 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 9673.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion.
Location. 30° 3.643′ N, 94° 47.763′ W. Marker is in Liberty, Texas, in Liberty County. Marker is on Main Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 539 Main Street, Liberty TX 77575, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Casa Consistatorial (Courthouse Square) (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Liberty County (about 600 feet away); Plaza de Carcel y Casas de Correccion (about 600 feet away); Captain William M. Logan (about 600 feet away); Plaza Constitucional (about 600 feet away); The Seven Courthouses of Liberty County (about 600 feet away); Col. Edward Bradford Pickett (about 600 feet away); Commercial Corner (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Liberty.
Credits. This page was last revised on April 26, 2018. It was originally submitted on April 26, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Atascocita, Texas. This page has been viewed 90 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 26, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Atascocita, Texas. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.