Shelton Public Library and Town Hall
427 West Railroad Avenue
The building was constructed in 1914 and is an L-shaped Georgian Revival style building. The building embodies distinctive architectural characteristics of a design by Fredrick Heath who became one of Washington States most prominent architects in the early part of this century, designing buildings from Alaska to Los Angeles.
The building was built in memory of Sol G. Simpson and given to the people of Shelton by Simpson's widow, Mary Garrard Simpson (nicknamed Tollie)
The Building was placed on the Shelton Historic Register in April of 1995.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Education. A significant historical year for this entry is 1914.
Location. 47° 12.775′ N, 123° 6.291′ W. Marker is in Shelton, Washington, in Mason County. Marker is on South 5th Avenue south of West Railroad Avenue, on the right when traveling north. Marker is a painted metal plaque, mounted waist-high in a wooden frame, on a cement pedestal, by the sidewalk, just left of building's South 5th Street entrance. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 427 West Railroad Avenue, Shelton WA 98584, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are
Regarding Shelton Public Library and Town Hall. National Register of Historic Places (1983). Building is now serving as the Mason County Historical Society Museum.
Also see . . .
1. Frederick H. Heath.
Heath’s practice lasted just short of sixty years in Tacoma and his monumental works can still be seen today across the Northwest. He served as School Architect for the Tacoma School District from 1903 through 1920, and many of his school buildings are still in use throughout the city. His firm’s work exhibited a broad spectrum of building types and scales including residential, commercial, ecumenical, park structures, hospitals and public buildings. (Submitted on April 26, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. Frederick Heath (architect)
Pythian Temple (Tacoma, Washington) (1906)
Stadium High School, 111 N E St, Tacoma (1906)
Tacoma Grocery Co. building, 2108-12 Pacific Avenue (1906)
Morris-Miller Co. building, 2102-06 Pacific Avenue (1906)
Bowes Building 100 South 9th Street, Tacoma (1907)
McKinley Elementary School at 3702 McKinley Ave. (1908)
Barlow Annex at 3012 S. 59th St. (South Tacoma) (1910)
Fern Hill Elementary at 8442 S. Park (South Tacoma) (1911)
Central School at 601 South 8th Street (New Tacoma) (1912)
Oakland Alternative High School at 3319 South Adams Street (South End) (1912)
Park Avenue School at 6701 S. Park Ave. (South End) (1912)
Lincoln High School, 701 South 37th Street, Tacoma (1913)
Paradise Inn at Mount Rainier (1915)
National Realty Building Tacoma (1911) (Submitted on April 26, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on October 14, 2020. It was originally submitted on April 26, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 179 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on April 26, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.