Erected in 1896
To replace the Duverjé Plantation House which served as the courthouse from 1866 until it burned in the great Algiers Fire of 1895.
Barthelmy Duverjé acquired title to the Plantation in 1805 and in 1842 the property was subdivided as Algiers.
City engineer Linus Brown and Alonzo Bell designed this building which was erected by John McNally, Builder.
Renovated by the City of New Orleans, 1979-1984.
Erected by Orleans Parish Landmarks Commission.
Location. 29° 57.224′ N, 90° 3.249′ W. Marker is in Algiers, Louisiana, in Orleans Parish. Marker is on Morgan Street north of Bermuda Street, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 225 Morgan Street, New Orleans LA 70114, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Duverjé Plantation (within shouting distance of this marker); Algiers' Dry Docks (within shouting distance of this marker); Enslaved Africans (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Great Fire of Algiers, 1895
More about this marker. Located on right side entrance, facing front of Courthouse.
Categories. • Notable Buildings • Settlements & Settlers •
More. Search the internet for Algiers Courthouse.
Credits. This page was last revised on April 28, 2018. This page originally submitted on April 28, 2018, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 115 times since then and 39 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 28, 2018.