Algiers, established in 1719, is the second oldest neighborhood in New Orleans. Originally called the "King's Plantation," it was first used as the location for the city's powder magazine, a holding area for the newly arrived African slaves, and the first port of call for the displaced Cajuns.
Developed as a town by Barthelemy Duverjé, Algiers expanded due mainly to the shipbuilding and repair industries of the dry docks and the extensive railroad yards. A large part of the town in the area surrounding the Courthouse was destroyed by fire in 1895 but rose again like a Phoenix from the ashes.
Many Jazz and Blues "greats" have called Algiers home including Lester Young, Memphis Minnie, Henry "Red" Allen, George Lewis, and "Kid" Thomas Valentine.
The charm and architecture of old Algiers is New Orleans' "hidden jewel."
Vinnie Pervel President, 2002 Algiers Point Association
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers.
Location. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 101 Morgan Street, New Orleans LA 70114, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Louis D. Armstrong (here, next to this marker); Enslaved Africans (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Algiers' Dry Docks (about 600 feet away); Algiers Courthouse (about 600 feet away); Duverjé Plantation (about 700 feet away); The Great Fire of Algiers, 1895 (approx. 0.2 miles away); Transatlantic Slave Trade to Louisiana (approx. half a mile away); Visit Historic Algiers Point (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Algiers.
More about this marker. Located at the Algiers Ferry Terminal Jazz Walk of Fame.
Credits. This page was last revised on April 29, 2018. It was originally submitted on April 29, 2018, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 148 times since then and 27 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 29, 2018.