Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Liberty in Liberty County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Liberty County

 
 
Liberty County Marker image. Click for full size.
By Brian Anderson, April 22, 2018
1. Liberty County Marker
Inscription.  The home of the Orcoquisac Indians. An East – West trail across the region traveled by Alonso De Leon in 1690 became the “La Bahia” or “Lower Road” of the 18th century and the Opelousas Road of the 19th. At the point this road crossed the Trinity the Spaniards made the first settlement, Atascosito, about 1758. Napoleonic exiles sought refuge here in 1818, Anglo–Americans came, 1821 – 1830. The town, established May 5, 1831, as the “Villa de la Santisima Trinidad de la Libertad” (City of the Blessed Trinity of Liberty) gave its name to the municipality and to the county created in 1836. Liberty County in 1837 included all of Tyler and parts of Hardin, Chambers, San Jacinto and Polk counties. The town of Liberty, incorporated June 7, 1837, has remained the county seat.

In memory of
the pioneer settlers of the region

Patrick C. Jack, Claiborne West, James Morgan
Delegates to the convention of 1832

Patrick C. Jack, Samuel Whiting, William Hardin, David G. Burnet
Delegates to the convention of 1833

Henry Millard, George M. Patrick, A.B.

Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Hardin, James B. Woods
Delegates to the consultation in 1835

A.B. Hardin, James B. Wood, M.B. Menard
Signers of the Texas Declaration of Independence.

The soldiers from Liberty County who fought at San Jacinto and elsewhere for and in defense of the Republic of Texas.


 
Erected 1936 by State of Texas. (Marker Number 9670.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Texas 1936 Centennial Markers and Monuments series list.
 
Location. 30° 3.551′ N, 94° 47.766′ W. Marker is in Liberty, Texas, in Liberty County. Marker is on Main Street, on the right when traveling south. Marker is located on the courthouse grounds. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1923 Sam Houston Street, Liberty TX 77575, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Captain William M. Logan (a few steps from this marker); Plaza de Carcel y Casas de Correccion (within shouting distance of this marker); The Seven Courthouses of Liberty County (within shouting distance of this marker); Commercial Corner (within shouting distance of this marker); Tarver Abstract Company (within shouting distance

Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
of this marker); Col. Edward Bradford Pickett (within shouting distance of this marker); Casa Consistatorial (Courthouse Square) (within shouting distance of this marker); Sam Houston's Law Office (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Liberty.
 
Also see . . .  Liberty County - The Handbook of Texas Online. Texas State Historical Association (TSHA) (Submitted on June 13, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Atascocita, Texas.) 
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 13, 2018. It was originally submitted on May 3, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Atascocita, Texas. This page has been viewed 112 times since then and 14 times this year. Photo   1. submitted on May 4, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Atascocita, Texas. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement
Jul. 7, 2020