Anahuac in Chambers County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Col. Juan Davis Bradburn, commander of the Anahuac garrison, angered Texas colonists by conscripting labor and supplies to construct the fort and by failing to control his disorderly troops. In 1832 he unjustly imprisoned William B. Travis, Patrick C. Jack, and other settlers here. When he refused to release the men, armed conflict erupted between Texas and Mexican forces. The confrontation here, which also sparked fighting at Velasco and adoption of the Turtle Bayou resolutions, resulted in Bradburn's dismissal and the removal of Mexican troops from the post. Today
Erected 1976 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 9123.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Forts and Castles • War, Texas Independence.
Location. 29° 45.346′ N, 94° 41.273′ W. Marker is in Anahuac, Texas, in Chambers County. Marker is at the intersection of Unnamed roads within the park and Unnamed roads within the park, on the right when traveling west on Unnamed roads within the park. Marker is located within Fort Anahuac Park on the west side of the park near the boat ramp. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1704 South Main Street, Anahuac TX 77514, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within one mile of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Robert McAlpin Williamson (here, next to this marker); William Barret Travis (a few steps from this marker); An Anchor (within shouting distance of this marker); Juan Davis Bradburn (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Fort Anahuac (within shouting distance of this marker); Chambers County Courthouse (approx. one mile away); The Dr. N.T. Schilling Medical Office (approx. 1.1 miles away); Chambersea (approx. 1.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Anahuac.
More about this marker. Incise on base: Marker sponsored by the National Guard Association of Texas and the Chambers County Historical Commission
Regarding Fort Anahuac. Conflict surrounding this fort lit the fuse for the Texas War of Independence from Mexico. See "Turtle Bayou Resolutions" marker.
The name of the town, Anahúac, is the Nahuatl word for the area that originally included what is now Mexico City, Mexico.
Also see . . .
1. The Handbook of Texas. (Submitted on August 1, 2015, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas.)
2. From the Texas Almanac. (Submitted on August 1, 2015, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas.)
3. From Fort Wiki. (Submitted on August 1, 2015, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on May 8, 2018. It was originally submitted on August 1, 2015, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. This page has been viewed 450 times since then and 23 times this year. Last updated on May 7, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 1, 2015, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.