City of London, England, United Kingdom
The Daily Courant
The first edition of the Daily Courant
was published in Fleet Street,
Britain's first daily newspaper.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Communications. A significant historical date for this entry is March 11, 1702.
Location. 51° 30.856′ N, 0° 6.552′ W. Marker is in City of London, England. Marker is at the intersection of Crane Court and Fleet Street, on the left when traveling east on Crane Court. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 175 Fleet Street, City of London, England EC4A 2EA, United Kingdom. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Red Lion Court (within shouting distance of this marker); British Institute of Professional Photography (within shouting distance of this marker); Johnson's Court (within shouting distance of this marker); Dr. Samuel Johnson (within shouting distance of this marker); Mitre Tavern (within shouting distance of this marker); St. Dunstan's Court (within shouting distance of this marker); Bolt Court (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line); Francis Barber (about 120 meters away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in City of London.
Also see . . . The Daily Courant (Wikipedia). "The Daily Courant, initially published on 11 March 1702, was the first British daily newspaper. It was produced by Elizabeth Mallet at her premises next to the King's Arms tavern at Fleet Bridge in London. The newspaper consisted of a single page, with advertisements on the reverse side. Mallet advertised that she intended to publish only foreign news and would not add any comments of her own, supposing her readers to have "sense enough to make reflections for themselves."...After only forty days Mallet sold The Daily Courant to Samuel Buckley, who moved it to premises in the area of Little Britain in London, at "the sign of the Dolphin". Buckley later became the publisher of The Spectator. The Daily Courant lasted until 1735, when it was merged with the Daily Gazetteer." (Submitted on May 14, 2018.)
Credits. This page was last revised on May 14, 2018. It was originally submitted on May 14, 2018, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. This page has been viewed 103 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 14, 2018, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California.