Corvallis in Benton County, Oregon — The American West (Northwest)
Early Town Development
The Corvallis Riverfront
Since the river was a natural transportation route for people and products, entrepreneurs Wayman St. Clair and Eldridge Hartless in 1849 established one of Corvallis’ first general stores, facing the river near Jackson Avenue, close to the ferry landing.
With the establishment of steamboat navigation companies in the 1860s, wharves and warehouses sprang up along the river. By the 1870s, according to early resident Henry Gerber, “There were four big warehouses on the river bank, owned by Mr. Avery, Mr. Nicholas, Mr. Cauthorn and Mr. Blair. These were built chiefly for the storing and shipping of wheat.”
In 1890, the
Other riverbank structures appeared in Corvallis’ early industrial zone. The calaboose (city jail) was located on the riverbank just north of Madison Avenue. In 1876, the city sold the jail property to William M. Pittman, who agreed to furnish a tank for the fire department and keep it filled for $50 a year. Pittman and others established a water company there, then moved it to First and Adams, and eventually sold the water works to the city. The tall water tower was the vantage point for many panoramic photos of early Corvallis.
In 1882, John Riley built the Corvallis Brewery near First and Jefferson. North of Van Buren Avenue stood Corvallis’ first electricity plant, built in 1890. The Corvallis Creamery Company was established in 1903 on the riverbank just south of Madison Avenue. In 1912, the Corvallis Canning Company was located on the riverbank north of Van Buren Avenue.
The railroads came to Corvallis in the 1880s, and rail spurs serving riverfront properties ran from the Marys River to Tyler Avenue. First Street rail activity ceased in the 1970s, and the last of the rails were removed in 2002, when they were found under the old First Street pavement.
Family homes occupied lots on the town side of First Street (also known as Water Street). An 1893 map shows 20 First Street homes between Tyler Avenue and Western Blvd. These homes gradually gave way to commercial enterprises, and the last First Street homes were removed in 1979.
J.C. Avery platted the town of Marysville in 1851. An Illinois farmer, Avery arrived here in 1845. He had the first store, sawmill and gristmill, and he was one of the incorporators of Corvallis College. Avery's family consisted of his wife, Martha, and eight children. J.C. Avery died in 1876 at the age of 59. Martha lived until 1911 to the age of 87.
William F. Dixon arrived in Oregon in 1845 after making the 6-month journey across the plains with his wife, Julia Ann, and two children. He secured a land claim in 1846 which shared
Erected 2004 by Madison Avenue Task Force.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Railroads & Streetcars • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1851.
Location. 44° 33.779′ N, 123° 15.543′ W. Marker is in Corvallis, Oregon, in Benton County. Marker is on SW 1st Street north of SW Jefferson Avenue, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Corvallis OR 97333, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. River Transport (here, next to this marker); Benton County State Bank (within shouting distance of this marker); L.G. Kline Building (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); City Hall (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Whiteside Theatre (approx. 0.2 miles away); Capitol of Territorial Oregon (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Opera House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Site of the Earliest Boat Landing (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Corvallis.
Credits. This page was last revised on May 28, 2018. It was originally submitted on May 18, 2018, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon. This page has been viewed 195 times since then and 30 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on May 18, 2018, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.