Laredo in Webb County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Created January 28, 1848
Organized March 16, 1848
Named in honor of
James Webb, 1792-1856
Attorney General and Secretary
of State of The Republic of Texas
Laredo, the County Seat
Founded in 1755 by
Erected 1936 by Texas Highway Department.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Texas 1936 Centennial Markers and Monuments series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1848.
Location. 27° 30.448′ N, 99° 30.357′ W. Marker is in Laredo, Texas, in Webb County. Marker can be reached from Flores Avenue north of Houston Street, on the left when traveling south. Marker is located near Webb County Courthouse west entrance. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1000 Houston St, Laredo TX 78040, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 2 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Webb County Courthouse (here, next to this marker); Jarvis Plaza (approx. 0.2 miles away).
Also see . . .
1. Webb County. Webb County is in South Texas along the Mexican border. Laredo, the county's largest town and seat of government, is in the southwestern part of the county at the intersection of U.S. Highway 59 and Interstate Highway 35. Early Spanish explorers traveled through the area on their journeys north of the Rio Grande. Alonso De León passed across what is now the northwestern corner of Webb County during the 1680s, and in 1747 Miguel de la Garza Falcón journeyed through the area as he explored the north bank of the Rio Grande. (Submitted on May 21, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. James Webb: Legislator and Judge. Webb represented the Travis-Bastrop-Fayette-Gonzales district as senator in the Sixth, Seventh, and Eighth congresses, 1841–44, and served as chairman of the Judiciary Committee and as a member of the Foreign Relations Committee. He was a member of the Convention of 1845, which endorsed him for United States district judge for Texas. He became first judge of the Fourteenth Judicial District, which included Corpus Christi when the district was established in 1854, and was elected to the judgeship in 1856. (Submitted on May 21, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
3. Tomás Sánchez de la Barrera y Garza, founder of Laredo. On May 15, 1755, Sánchez founded Laredo with his family and several others. In 1767, (Submitted on May 21, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on May 25, 2018. It was originally submitted on May 21, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 126 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on May 21, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.