Harper in Gillespie County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Harper Independent School District
Mary D. Rogers sold additional acreage for school expansion in 1930. Several schools consolidated with Harper in 1940, and additions to the school, completed by 1942, were built through the federal Works Progress Administration (WPA). In 1943 five acres purchased from Ed Kensing allowed expanded student activities. The school
Erected 2010 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 16502.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education. A significant historical year for this entry is 1884.
Location. 30° 18.011′ N, 99° 14.558′ W. Marker is in Harper, Texas, in Gillespie County. Marker is at the intersection of U.S. 290 and Ranch to Market Road 783, on the right when traveling west on U.S. 290. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 23122 US-290, Harper TX 78631, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 13 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Site of the McDonald Massacre (approx. 0.3 miles away); Harper Community Park (approx. 0.3 miles away); St. James Lutheran Church (approx. 0.8 miles away); The Dowdy Tragedy of 1878 (approx. 11.7 miles away); Sunset Cemetery (approx. 11.9 miles away); St. Peter Lutheran Church (approx. 12 miles away); Squaw Creek Primitive Baptist Church (approx. 12.4 miles away); Spanish Road to Santa Fe, 1808 (approx. 12.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Harper.
Credits. This page was last revised on May 28, 2018. It was originally submitted on May 26, 2018, by Larry D. Moore of Del Valle, Texas. This page has been viewed 143 times since then and 31 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 26, 2018, by Larry D. Moore of Del Valle, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.