Brownsville in Cameron County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Home of Charles Stillman
Home of Charles Stillman, ship owner, merchant, rancher, who came to Brazos Santiago in 1828 and in 1849-50 founded City of Brownsville in old Espiritu Santo Land Grant.
Built about 1850 for his bride, Elizabeth Goodrich, of Connecticut. Has separate kitchen, cisterns, carriage house, patio typical of pre-Civil War architecture.
Erected by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 2530.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1850.
Location. 25° 54.049′ N, 97° 29.781′ W. Marker is in Brownsville, Texas, in Cameron County. Marker is on East Washington Street (Business U.S. 77) south of East 13th Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1325 E Washington St, Brownsville TX 78520, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Stillman House (here, next to this marker); Stillman House Museum (here, next to this marker); Stillman House / Residencia StillmanBrownsville Home of Charles Stillman (a few steps from this marker); San Roman Building (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); San Román Building (about 400 feet away); Manautou Building (about 500 feet away); Bollack Department Store (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Brownsville.
Regarding Home of Charles Stillman. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark (1965), National Register of Historic Places (1979). This building now serves as the Stillman House Museum.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 2, 2020. It was originally submitted on May 27, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 109 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on May 27, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.