Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Brownsville in Cameron County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Stillman House Museum

 
 
Stillman House Museum Marker image. Click for full size.
By Cosmos Mariner, May 18, 2018
1. Stillman House Museum Marker
Inscription.  
English:
Built in 1850, this Greek Revival home was occupied in succession by Charles Stillman and his family; Thomas Carson, longtime Brownsville Mayor; and the Manuel Trevino de los Santos Coy family. At one time, it housed the Mexican Consulate.

Spanish:
Esta casa fue construida en 1850. Fue ocupada sucesivamente por el Sr. Stillman y su familia, el Sr. Thomas Carson, Alcade de Brownsville, el Sr. Manuel Treviño de los Santos Coy y su familia, y posteriormente por el Consulado Mexicano.
Funding provided by
The Brownsville Historical Association

 
Erected by The Brownsville Historical Association.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Architecture.
 
Location. 25° 54.05′ N, 97° 29.785′ W. Marker is in Brownsville, Texas, in Cameron County. Marker is on East Washington Street (Business U.S. 77) south of East 13th Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is
Stillman House Museum Marker (<i>tall view</i>) image. Click for full size.
By Cosmos Mariner, May 18, 2018
2. Stillman House Museum Marker (tall view)
at or near this postal address: 1325 E Washington St, Brownsville TX 78520, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Stillman House / Residencia Stillman (here, next to this marker); Stillman House (here, next to this marker); Home of Charles Stillman (here, next to this marker); Brownsville Home of Charles Stillman (a few steps from this marker); San Roman Building (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); San Román Building (about 400 feet away); Manautou Building (about 400 feet away); Bollack Department Store (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Brownsville.
 
More about this marker. This marker is included in the Brownsville Heritage Trail series.
 
Regarding Stillman House Museum. Texas Historic Landmark (1964), National Register of Historic Places (1979).
 
Also see . . .  A Brief Timeline of the Stillman House Museum.
1850: Built by Henry Miller, owner of the Miller Hotel in downtown Brownsville.
1850: Miller rents out the house to his partner, Charles Stillman. Stillman moves into the house with his new bride, Elizabeth Stillman (nee Goodrich)
1850: Charles and Elizabeth’s eldest son, James (Jewett) Stillman was born.
1852: Charles and Elizabeth’s eldest daughter, Isabel Stillman was born.
1853: Yellow Fever breaks out in Brownsville, Elizabeth and her children move to Connecticut permenantly.
1853: Charles Stillman
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
moves out and Thomas Carson, a longtime Brownsville mayor, moves in.
1858: Henry Miller sells the house to Manuel Trevino de los Santos Coy, Mexican Consul to Brownsville. 1866: Charles Stillman permanently moves back to Connecticut
1875: Charles Stillman passes away.
1875: Manuel Trevino, Porfirio Diaz and others gather to secretly plot the overthrow of the Mexican president Sebastian Lerdo de Tejada.
1876: Porfirio Diaz becomes president of Mexico, a position he would hold until 1910
1958: The Trevino family, after 100 years, sells their family home. The home is purchased by Chauncey Stillman, great-grandson of Charles Stillman.
1958: After restoration, the house is donated to the Brownsville Historical Association
1960: The Stillman House is opened as a public museum.
2008: Hurricane Dolly hits Brownsville, damaging the Stillman House.
2009: The Stillman House is re-opened to the public after restorations. (Submitted on May 28, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.) 
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on May 30, 2018. It was originally submitted on May 28, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 81 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on May 28, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement
Aug. 4, 2020