Brownsville in Cameron County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
1882 Cameron County Courthouse
- 1882 -
Built in 1882 by S.W. Brooks and designed by J.N. Preston & Son, this was the first courthouse built for Cameron County. It has continuously housed the Masonic Lodge since 1914. It was built in the Second Renaissance Revival style, once having a distinctive cupola and other roof detailing, all of which were destroyed in the great hurricane of 1933.
Construida en 1882 por S.W. Brooks y diseñada por J.N. Preston & Son, fue la primera corte construida para el Condado de Cameron. Este edificio ha sido la Logia Masónica continuamente desde 1914. El estilo arquitectónico es segundo renacimiento. Una vez tuvo una cúpula y otros adornos, todos los cuales fueron destruidos durante el gran huracán de 1933.
Erected by Brownsville Historical Association.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Fraternal or Sororal Organizations. A significant historical year for this entry is 1882.
Location. 25° 54.188′ N, 97° 29.755′ W. Marker is in Brownsville, Texas, in Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1131 E Jefferson St, Brownsville TX 78520, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Cameron County Courthouse of 1883-1914 (a few steps from this marker); Old County Courthouse Rio Grande Lodge No. 81 (a few steps from this marker); Immaculate Conception Cathedral (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Immaculate Conception Cathedral (within shouting distance of this marker); La Catedral del la Inmaculada Concepcion (within shouting distance of this marker); Old Jail (within shouting distance of this marker); Old County Jail / Fernandez Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Father Pierre Yves Keralum (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Brownsville.
More about this marker. Marker is in the Brownsville Historical Trail series
Also see . . .
1. Samuel W. Brooks. Samuel W. Brooks, architect, engineer, and builder, was born in Pennsylvania in 1829. At the age of seven his family took him to Ohio. About 1850 he moved to New Orleans, where he established a lumber business in 1853 and worked as a builder and architect. Brooks left New Orleans in 1863 and moved to Matamoros, Tamaulipas, where he remained until 1878, when he moved across the Rio Grande to Brownsville. (Submitted on May 29, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. Jasper N. Preston. Jasper N. Preston, architect, was born in Jasper County, New York, in 1832. When he was a boy his family moved to Lansing, Michigan, where he studied architecture in a local office and worked as a draftsman. About 1875 he moved to Austin, one of the first professional architects to do so. By 1883 he had taken his son, S. A. J. Preston, into partnership, and their firm was also listed in the San Antonio directories at that time. (Submitted on May 29, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on May 30, 2018. It was originally submitted on May 29, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 180 times since then and 29 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on May 29, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.