Bishop in Nueces County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
The town of Bishop was established in 1910 by F.Z. Bishop on land he had purchased from the Driscoll Ranch. The townsite was staked on both sides of the St. Louis, Brownsville and Mexico railroad line.
F.Z. Bishop, who dreamed of building a model town on the prairie, managed construction of the town. Bishop planned the townsite and designed the business district to have a uniform appearance with brick facades. He began construction of an electric plant and water system, planted 600 palm trees along the streets, and laid three miles of sidewalks in town. A 40-acre city park with a lake, band pavilion and deer park were underway. A frame schoolhouse was built, and opened in September 1910. The town grew quickly and within two years the population had grown to 1,000. The town was incorporated in April 1912; R.R. Hall, business manager for F.Z. Bishop, was elected first mayor. Churches were built. A two story brick school with a raised basement replaced the first school.
Although F.Z. Bishop declared bankruptcy in 1916, the town continued to grow and prosper. Oil and gas discoveries in the 1940's caused petroleum-related
Erected 1996 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 418.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Railroads & Streetcars • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 27° 35.113′ N, 97° 48.013′ W. Marker is in Bishop, Texas, in Nueces County. Marker is at the intersection of Business U.S. 77 and West Main Street, on the left when traveling south on U.S. 77Business . Marker is located in Veterans Memorial Park. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Bishop TX 78343, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within 17 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Englishmen in South Texas, 1568 (approx. 6 miles away); The Kingsville Railroad Depot (approx. 6.3 miles away); Uriah Lott (approx. 6.3 miles away); Taylor Camp Site, 1846 (approx. 7.9 miles away); George H. Paul Building Site (approx. 16.4 miles away).
Also see . . .
1. Bishop, Texas. Bishop was originally on the Driscoll Ranch and was called Julia Siding. In 1910 F. Z. Bishop, a Corpus Christi insurance agent, bought a large parcel of land at the site and established a town. Before the first (Submitted on May 31, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. Bishop Texas Since 1910. F.Z. Bishop, the young insurance man-promoter, figured the blackland prairies of South Texas was "mighty good cotton and corn land," and envisioned a model town, surrounded by farm tracts. He made a deal with the Driscoll Ranch for 2,300 acres, bisected by the new rails of the St. Louis, Brownsville, and Mexico Railroad which had been extended to the Rio Grande Valley four years earlier. The developer brought in 20 steam plows to turn under the waist high grass and laid out his farm land in mile square tracts, linking the sections with 120 miles of improved roads. (Submitted on May 31, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
3. Bishop, Texas. (This link presents many interesting historical and current photos from Bishop.)
Bishop was a planner and had electrical, telephone and sewage systems, paved streets, and sidewalks in place before the first lots were sold. A hotel and several residences were erected, and a $16,000 store and office building was opened. In September 1910, when the first school opened in a three-room frame building, sixteen children were enrolled. Enrollment increased to sixty by the end of the term. (Submitted on May 31, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on May 31, 2018. It was originally submitted on May 31, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 151 times since then and 24 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on May 31, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.