Texon in Reagan County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
The Town of Texon
Texon, first company town in the Permian Basin, was founded in 1924 by Big Lake Oil Company. Levi Smith, president of the firm, planned and supervised building of the town, and Ted Williams served as City Manager for the company. Texon had stores, shops, a school, a physician, a dentist, a hospital, a theater, a park, a well-known baseball team, and many facilities for recreation. The post office opened in 1926. As many as 2000 people lived here - boosters claimed up to 10,000 - manning the drilling, a gasoline plant, an oil treating plant, and other operations. Plymouth Oil Company absorbed Big Lake Oil Company, then sold out to Marathon Oil Company. The company town closed in 1962.
Erected 1977 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 5440.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Railroads & Streetcars • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 31° 13.886′ N, 101° 41.334′ W. Marker is in Texon, Texas, in Reagan County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of U.S. 67 and Farm to Market Road 1675, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Big Lake TX 76932, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within 15 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Santa Rita No. 1 (approx. ¼ mile away); Upton County (approx. 9.1 miles away); Rankin (approx. 9.1 miles away); Stiles Cemetery (approx. 13.7 miles away); Site of the First Court House Built in Reagan County (approx. 14.3 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on June 5, 2020. It was originally submitted on August 22, 2010, by Steve Henderson of Marble Falls, Texas. This page has been viewed 650 times since then and 20 times this year. Last updated on May 31, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Atascocita, Texas. Photo 1. submitted on August 22, 2010, by Steve Henderson of Marble Falls, Texas. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.