Kingsville in Kleberg County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
(January 30, 1842 - March 29, 1915)
Merchant, banker, builder of railroads to the Rio Grande. Born in Albany, N.Y. Came to South Texas in 1868. Chartered the Corpus Christi, San Diego and Rio Grande narrow gauge railroad in 1875. Later, reorganized it as the Texas - Mexican Railroad, to be built from Corpus Christi to Laredo. In 1884 he chartered and became president of the San Antonio and Aransas Pass Railway, which in time had 688 miles of track, and gave South Texas a new outlet to the Gulf of Mexico and international trade.
Setting out (1900) to run a railroad to southmost tip of Texas, he obtained right of way for segment of the St. Louis, Brownsville and Mexico Railway from Robstown to Brownsville. The "Lott Railroad" tracks reached this point in Feb. 1903. When for the first time a passenger train ran all the way from Corpus Christi to Brownsville, July 4, 1904, the new town of Kingsville held a special Fourth of July celebration.
For some years prior to his death, Lott lived in Casa Ricardo Hotel in Kingsville. He and his wife, the former Mary Cicele Reynolds, are buried in the Chamberlain Cemetery, Kingsville.
Lott's work, vital to
Erected 1972 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 3134.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Railroads & Streetcars.
Location. 27° 31.005′ N, 97° 52.094′ W. Marker is in Kingsville, Texas, in Kleberg County. Marker is at the intersection of East Kleberg Avenue and PFC Daniel Alarcon Street, on the right when traveling west on East Kleberg Avenue. Marker is located at entrance to the Kingsville Railroad Depot Museum parking lot. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 102 E Kleberg Ave, Kingsville TX 78363, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Kingsville Railroad Depot (a few steps from this marker); Englishmen in South Texas, 1568 (approx. half a mile away); St. Paul Lutheran Church (approx. 0.6 miles away); Taylor Camp Site, 1846 (approx. 2 miles away); Bishop (approx. 6.3 miles away); First Baptist Church of Bishop (approx. 6.3 miles away); St. John Lutheran Church (approx. 6.4 miles away); First United Methodist Church of Bishop (approx. 6.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Kingsville.
Also see . . . Uriah Lott.
In 1867 he arrived at Brazos Santiago, Texas, and proceeded by way of Brownsville (Submitted on May 31, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 1, 2018. It was originally submitted on May 31, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 176 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on May 31, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.