New Buffalo in Perry County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The John Schaffer Tavern and Inn
Also known by the names The Red House, The Evergreen Hotel and The Lodge House
— New Buffalo, Pennsylvania —
According to Anna Liddick Dorman (1880-1961), the third floor provided lodging space for both sexes, separated only by a curtain in one large open room. As many as forty persons slept on the floor on straw "tick" mattresses.
Schaffer purchased his lot from developer Jacob Baughman who in 1814 laid out eighty-one lots in what became New Buffalo. The Schaffer House is one example of the dynamic economic development that occurred along the Susquehanna River as a result of the canal. Two boat yards and two other lodging facilities, constructed in the Canal era, folded with the final closing of the Canal by 1899.
From its beginning, the structure has served multi-purposes, often as a private residence, including the Henry and Lydia Thatcher family in the 1840s. One son, Henry C. Thatcher (1842-1886) served as the first Chief Justice of the Colorado
Over time the left side of the house has been a general store, post office and restaurant. From 1899 to 1947 Odd Fellows Lodge 628 owned the building and used it for their meetings while renting out part of the premises. Since 1948, the house has been a private residence. In 1957, Harold H. and Anna Dorman Halter purchased the house, which as of 2015, remains in the family.
The road frontage, Mill Street, part of the Susquehanna Trail, was the main north/south highway until 1951 when Route 11/15 was rerouted and constructed on top of the long closed Canal.
Erected by Perry County Heritage Trail.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings.
Location. 40° 27.254′ N, 76° 58.208′ W. Marker is in New Buffalo, Pennsylvania, in Perry County. Marker is at the intersection of Mill Street and Market Street, on the right when traveling west on Mill Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: New Buffalo PA 17069, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Halifax and Vicinity World War I Memorial (approx. 2.1 miles away); Pennsylvania Canal (approx. 2.2 miles away); Fort Halifax (approx. 2.8 miles away); a different marker also named Pennsylvania Canal (approx. 2.9 miles away); Clark's Ferry Bridge Company (approx. 4.2 miles away); a different marker also named Pennsylvania Canal (approx. 4.4 miles away); a different marker also named Pennsylvania Canal (approx. 4.4 miles away); Lightning Guider Sleds (approx. 4.8 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on June 3, 2018. It was originally submitted on June 3, 2018, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 89 times since then and 25 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 3, 2018, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.