Galveston in Galveston County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Galveston County Communities
Communities of Galveston County were established as follows:
Algoa was named following the 1900 storm for a British Tanker which ran aground there.
Alta Loma was given the Spanish Name, “High Ground,” by a development company in 1893.
Arcadia was named in 1886 after a city in Louisiana.
Dickinson was founded in 1824 when John Dickinson purchased land from the Mexican Government. Stephen F. Austin and James F. Perry acquired leagues in April 1833.
Friendswood was settled in 1895 by a colony of Quakers. They pioneered the county’s fig industry and erected homes with characteristic gables.
High Island on Bolivar Peninsula, is located on a salt dome and was named for its elevation of 47 feet.
Nearby Gilchrist, founded in 1915, was named for Gibb Gilchrist, later President of Texas A & M.
Hitchcock was settled in the 1840’s. In 1848 Jonas Butler acquired a league of land on Hitchcock Bayou. Frenchmen later settled on the bayou and the community was named after Lent M. Hitchcock.
Kemah was named “Evergreen”
La Marque was first known as “Highland” and during the Civil War it was Known as “Buttermilk Station,” as soldiers stopped there to by buttermilk. The name was changed to La Marque in 1882.
League City was settled in the early 1800’s by the Karankawa Indians. It was named after J.C. League by the first permanent citizens who came there by ox wagon from Louisiana in 1873.
Bolivar was named by Warren D.C. Hall, a member of the Gutierrez-Magee Expedition in honor of Simon Bolivar, the liberator of South America.
San Leon was first known as Edwards Point & later N. Galveston. It took its present name in 1915.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Political Subdivisions • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 29° 18.179′ N, 94° 47.397′ W. Marker is in Galveston, Texas, in Galveston County. Marker can be reached from Avenue H east of Moody Avenue, on the right when traveling west. Marker is located on the Galveston County Courthouse grounds, in front of the courthouse, amongst the trees within the inner ring of the courthouse plaza, south of the plaza center. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 722 Moody Avenue, Galveston TX 77550, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Norris Wright Cuney (here, next to this marker); [Galveston County] 1901-1965 (a few steps from this marker); Rabbi Henry Cohen (a few steps from this marker); The Rt. Rev. Monsignor James Martin Kirwin (a few steps from this marker); Dignified Resignation (a few steps from this marker); Reconstruction to 1900 (within shouting distance of this marker); Exploration (within shouting distance of this marker); Texas Revolution and Civil War (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Galveston.
More about this marker. Marker is a large metal plaque, mounted horizontally on a knee-high, white concrete pedestal.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 9, 2018. It was originally submitted on June 5, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 129 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 5, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.