Bixby in Tulsa County, Oklahoma — The American South (West South Central)
Washington Irving’s Camp
“A Tour on the Prairies” by the great writer, Irving, describes his tour on horseback in Oklahoma with the U.S. Rangers from Fort Gibson. Irving camped on the creek near here, Oct. 12, 1832. Marker sponsored by the Tulsa County Historical Society.
Erected 1995 by Oklahoma Historical Society. (Marker Number 220.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Arts, Letters, Music • Exploration. A significant historical year for this entry is 1832.
Location. 35° 57.759′ N, 95° 53.27′ W. Marker is in Bixby, Oklahoma, in Tulsa County. Marker can be reached from Fry Creek Trail (U.S. 64), on the left when traveling north. Marker is located within the Washington Irving Memorial Park and Arboretum. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 13700 South Memorial Drive, Bixby OK 74008, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Washington Irving (within shouting distance of this marker); Glenn Pool (approx. 6.9 miles away); First Gas Processing Plant West of Mississippi River (approx. Twin Mounds Cemetery and Community (approx. 8.4 miles away); Sieling Park (approx. 8.4 miles away); Twin Mounds Community (approx. 8.4 miles away); Tulsa Oklahoma World War Memorial (approx. 8.8 miles away); The University of Oklahoma Schusterman Learning Center (approx. 9.7 miles away).
Also see . . .
1. Washington Irving. Wikipedia entry (Submitted on June 5, 2018, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee.)
2. Washington Irving Trail Museum. Museum website homepage (Submitted on June 5, 2018, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee.)
Credits. This page was last revised on May 2, 2021. It was originally submitted on June 5, 2018, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 242 times since then and 96 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 5, 2018, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.