The King Mansion / Ahimaaz King (1839-1909)
The King Mansion
Built of bricks of clay from the Little Miami River, the King Mansion has stood majestically overlooking the town of Kings Mills since 1885. The home of industrialist Ahimaaz King and the first house in Kings Mills, this 12-room, three-story Italianate-style house is crowned with a widow’s walk and features stained-glass windows, distinctive fireplaces, and a tack room. The carriage house included a milking operation for cows on the lower level, stables on the main level, and carriage storage on the upper level. A cast iron fountain in the yard gave the name “Fountain Square” to the area. Occupied by three generations of Kings until 1988, the mansion was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 2008 and is a reminder of Ahimaaz King’s importance to the history of Kings Mills.
Ahimaaz King (1839-1909)
Born in Suffield, Connecticut, Ahimaaz King came to Xenia, Ohio around 1856 to live with the family of his uncle, Joseph Warren (J.W.) King. He joined his uncle’s blasting and gun powder business and together in 1878 they founded, in Deerfield Township, what became the King Powder
Erected 2018 by Friends of the 20 Mile House Kings Mills Baptist Church The Ohio Historical Connection. (Marker Number 20-83.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Industry & Commerce. In addition, it is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection series list.
Location. 39° 21.454′ N, 84° 14.739′ W. Marker is in Kings Mills, Ohio, in Warren County. Marker is on King Avenue, on the right when traveling west. marker is in Carter Park in front of the King Mansion. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1720 King Avenue, Kings Mills OH 45034, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured Gershom Moore Peters, LLD / Peters Cartridge Company (approx. half a mile away); Deerfield- South Lebanon (approx. 1.6 miles away); Union Township Town Hall (approx. 2 miles away); Interurban Railway and Terminal Company: Rapid Railway (approx. 3.2 miles away); Jeremiah Morrow's Barn (approx. 3.6 miles away); Mounts Station (approx. 3.8 miles away); Butterworth Station / Butterworth Family Contributions (approx. 3.8 miles away); Blaw-Knox Antenna (approx. 4.4 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on August 20, 2018. It was originally submitted on June 6, 2018, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. This page has been viewed 177 times since then and 84 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on June 6, 2018, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.