Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Near Bastrop in Bastrop County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Rockne

 
 
Rockne Marker image. Click for full size.
By Larry D. Moore, June 7, 2018
1. Rockne Marker
Inscription.  Beginning as a farming community, Rockne traces its roots to German settlers who came to the area in the 1840s. In November 1846, the Daniel and Mortiz Lehman families arrived at Indianola, Texas from Schlesien, Prussia. They soon settled in this vicinity on Walnut Creek. Later, Andreas and Franz Meuth arrived from Wurges, Germany and settled on Sandy Creek. Also from Wurges, John Wilhelm, John Wolf, John Hartman and Philip Goertz arrived in 1856 and established farms along Walnut Creek.

In 1876, Philip Goertz and Michael Wolf donated land to area settlers to build the first Catholic church, Ascension of Christ Church. The building was destroyed by an arsonist's fire in 1891. The next year, on land donated by John T. Lehman, local residents established the Sacred Heart Church and Cemetery.

During its long history, the community has been known by many names. First called Walnut Creek because of its proximity to the stream, it was known as Lehman when a store and post office was established in 1900 with Martin Lehman as postmaster. The settlement later came to be called Hilbigville after William Hilbig and his sons opened a general

Rockne Marker Area image. Click for full size.
By Larry D. Moore, June 7, 2018
2. Rockne Marker Area
Sacred Heart Catholic Church is in the background.
store.

In 1931, the children of Sacred Heart School renamed the town in honor of Knute Rockne, renowned coach of Notre Dame University, who had died in a plane crash earlier that year.

Rockne continues to be a rural community, with Sacred Heart Catholic Church at its center.
 
Erected 2006 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 9223.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers.
 
Location. 29° 59.746′ N, 97° 25.86′ W. Marker is near Bastrop, Texas, in Bastrop County. Marker is on Farm to Market Road 535 0.1 miles east of Lehman Lane (County Highway 233), on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Bastrop TX 78602, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Samuel Wolfenberger (approx. 1.9 miles away); New Red Rock Cemetery (approx. 2.7 miles away); Old Red Rock Cemetery (approx. 3.2 miles away); Saint John Colony (approx. 7.3 miles away); Primera Baptist Church (approx. 10.1 miles away); Bastrop County Jail (approx. 10.3 miles away); Baron de Bastrop Monument (approx. 10.4 miles away); Bastrop County Courthouse (approx. 10.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bastrop.

 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 6, 2020. It was originally submitted on June 7, 2018, by Larry D. Moore of Del Valle, Texas. This page has been viewed 105 times since then and 20 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on June 7, 2018, by Larry D. Moore of Del Valle, Texas. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement
Aug. 11, 2020