Hattiesburg in Forrest County, Mississippi — The American South (East South Central)
This schoolhouse was established in the Arena community of Jackson County by Richard Roberts in the 1890s. Serving grades one through twelve, the curriculum consisted of reading, writing and arlthmetic. The Roberts Schoolhouse closed its doors in 1921, and M.M. Roberts provided support to move the buflding to the campus of USM in 1981.
Erected 2011 by Mississippi Department of Archives and History.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education. In addition, it is included in the Mississippi State Historical Marker Program series list.
Location. 31° 19.675′ N, 89° 20.11′ W. Marker is in Hattiesburg, Mississippi, in Forrest County. Marker can be reached from Golden Eagle Avenue north of Pearl Street. Inside the Owings/McQuagge Hall. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Hattiesburg MS 39401, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Demonstration School (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Hub Where Buffett Met "Fingers" (approx. 0.2 miles away); Clyde KennardHub City Lodge No 627 (approx. 0.4 miles away); Veterans of All Wars Monument (approx. 2.2 miles away); Old Hattiesburg High School (approx. 2.4 miles away); St. Paul Methodist Church (approx. 2.4 miles away); John L. Sullivan (approx. 2.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hattiesburg.
More about this marker. Marker is accessible ONLY by entering the Owings-McQuagge Hall. Located in a courtyard in center of building.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 8, 2018. It was originally submitted on June 8, 2018, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 118 times since then and 11 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 8, 2018.