Cotulla in La Salle County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
First Presbyterian Church of Cotulla
On September 4, 1884, the Rev. W. W. Killough, a visiting pastor, established this Presbyterian congregation. Members worshiped in the Methodist and Baptist churches before erecting their own church building in 1891, during the ministry of the Rev. A. J. Hall. The Rev. Harry W. Hamilton served as pastor from 1909 until his death in 1940. In 1963 the small frame church was destroyed by fire; only a silver communion service was saved. The present structure was dedicated in 1965.
Erected 1978 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 8132.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 28° 26.109′ N, 99° 14.15′ W. Marker is in Cotulla, Texas, in La Salle County. Marker is at the intersection of South Center Street and South Stewart Street, on the right when traveling east on South Center Street. Marker is located at the northwest corner of the church grounds, near the intersection. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Cotulla TX 78014, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 7 other markers La Salle County (within shouting distance of this marker); Cotulla City Park (within shouting distance of this marker); Polish Immigrant Joseph Cotulla (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); La Salle County's First Artesian Well (about 400 feet away); The First United Methodist Church of Cotulla (about 500 feet away); The Old San Antonio Road (approx. 0.2 miles away); Kings Highway (approx. 0.2 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on June 14, 2018. It was originally submitted on June 13, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 78 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 13, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.