San Antonio in Bexar County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
This site, from lower lands of Mission San Antonio de Valero, later part of the Vicente Amador Spanish Grant, was bought 1869 by merchant Russel C. Norton, who began building in 1876. House grew with additions of a second story, Victorian Gingerbread rear gallery, and Italian Renaissance Revival tower. Later owners were rancher Edwin Polk and renowned trail boss and cattleman Ike T. Pryor. Business leader Walter N. Mathis restored mansion in 1968.
Erected 1971 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 3615.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. A significant historical year for this entry is 1876.
Location. 29° 24.824′ N, 98° 29.644′ W. Marker is in San Antonio, Texas, in Bexar County. Marker is on King William Street south of East Sheridan Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 401 King William St, San Antonio TX 78204, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Elias and Lucy Edmonds House (within shouting distance of this marker); King William Neighborhood (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Alfred Giles House (about 500 feet away); Old Edward Steves House (about 500 feet away); Edward Steves Homestead (about 500 feet away); Biesenbach House (about 800 feet away); Site of Guenther's Upper Mill (approx. 0.2 miles away); Carl Hilmar Guenther House (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in San Antonio.
Regarding Norton-Polk-Mathis House. A prominent example of Italianate style, the Norton-Polk-Mathis House, also known as Villa Finale, currently operates as a house museum and is open to the public. It is a contributing property to the King William Historic District, which is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. It is also a National Trust Historic Site.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. King William Historic District
Also see . . . Norton/Polk/Mathis House. Original house built by hardware merchant Russell Norton and enlarged by rancher Edward Polk. Later, (Submitted on June 17, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on August 27, 2020. It was originally submitted on June 16, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 219 times since then and 54 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on June 17, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.