Old Waverly in San Jacinto County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
To provide education equal to any, Waverly Institute was founded in 1854, with separate departments for boys and girls.
Plantation system prevailed until 1860s. During Civil War, Federal troops camped in heart of Waverly, on Soldier's Hill.
Of three early churches, only the Presbyterian (organized in 1860) still exists; its present building was erected in 1904.
Erected 1969 by Texas State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 7673.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 30° 31.623′ N, 95° 21.194′ W. Marker is in Old Waverly, Texas, in San Jacinto County. Marker is on Jim Browder Road 0.1 miles north of State Highway 150, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Willis TX 77378, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 18 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Site of Willis Cigar Factory (approx. 10.3 miles away); Willis (approx. 10.3 miles away); Site of former town of Danville (approx. 10˝ miles away); Sam Houston (approx. 13.2 miles away); Josey Boy Scout Lodge (approx. 17.3 miles away); The Presidents Tree (approx. 17.4 miles away); Peabody Library Building (approx. 17˝ miles away); Austin College Building (approx. 17˝ miles away).
Also see . . . Waverly, Texas - The Handbook of Texas Online. Texas State Historical Association (TSHA) (Submitted on June 18, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Atascocita, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 20, 2018. It was originally submitted on June 18, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Atascocita, Texas. This page has been viewed 104 times since then and 32 times this year. Photo 1. submitted on June 18, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Atascocita, Texas. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.