Canton in Lincoln County, South Dakota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
First appeared on maps as Commerce City 1866. Its first postmaster was Benjamin Hill, appointed 14 May 1868. First settler here, L.P. Hyde, 1861. Cuppett, Hewit, & Rea built a blockhouse spring 1868 where Court House now stands. County organized 30 December 1867. Original plat under Act of Congress spring 1868. Twenty five Norwegian families settled near Canton in 1868. Sioux Valley News, first newspaper, established in 1872 by R.H. Miller. Railroad reached Canton in 1879. First county seat directed to be on Section 14 Township 98 Range 59 was named Canton by vote of settlers, believed to be exactly opposite to Canton, China. O.E. Rolvaag author of "Giants in the Earth" student Augustana Academy 1898-1901. Ernest Orlando Lawrence inventor of the cyclotron and eminent scientist was born here 1902 as was Merle Tuve developer of the famous "radio proximity fuze" of World War II.
Erected 1955 by Chamber of Commerce and State Highway Commission.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 43° Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 109 E 5th St, Canton SD 57013, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 4 other markers are within 16 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Augustana – The School on Wheels (approx. 2.1 miles away); Hiawatha Asylum for Insane Indians (approx. 2.1 miles away); The Canton Ski Hill (approx. 2.1 miles away); Tri-State Marker (approx. 15˝ miles away).
Regarding Canton. Canton, South Dakota is actually opposite a point in the southern Indian Ocean, with the nearest land being Amsterdam Island (-43.30085,83.40919).
Credits. This page was last revised on June 19, 2018. It was originally submitted on June 18, 2018, by Ruth VanSteenwyk of Aberdeen, South Dakota. This page has been viewed 101 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 18, 2018, by Ruth VanSteenwyk of Aberdeen, South Dakota. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.