Galveston in Galveston County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Galveston Historical Foundation
After several inactive years, the Society was resurrected in 1942 under its old name and turned to preserving historic landmarks, publishing a booklet in 1951 of the island's significant homes. In 1954, one of those homes, the 1830s Williams-Tucker House, was threatened. The Society, unable by its charter to acquire property, formed a new group, the Galveston Historical Foundation, which purchased the home and restored it.
After celebrating its 130th year in 2001, the nationally acclaimed foundation continues its leadership role in revitalization, museum operation, education, property management and preservation advocacy.
Erected 2006 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 13717.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. A significant historical year for this entry is 1871.
Location. 29° 18.324′ N, 94° 47.391′ W. Marker is in Galveston, Texas, in Galveston County. Marker is at the intersection of Post Office Street and 20th Street, on the right when traveling east on Post Office Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 502 20th Street, Galveston TX 77550, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Custom House, Post Office and United States Court House (a few steps from this marker); Federal Building 1857 (within shouting distance of this marker); 1894 Grand Opera House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); First Presbyterian Church (about 400 feet away); St. Mary's CathedralOld Galveston Market House and City Hall (about 500 feet away); American National Insurance Company (about 600 feet away); Site of Galveston Seminary (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Galveston.
Regarding Galveston Historical Foundation. The Galveston Custom House is also known as the "Old Customhouse," a Greek Revival-style two-story red brick structure at Twentieth and Post Office streets, was constructed between 1858 and 1861. Some believe it was the first Galveston building designed by an architect.
The building was completed on the eve of the Civil War. It was used only briefly before the outbreak of the war, when it was turned over to the Confederacy. During the conflict it probably took shelling during the battle of Galveston in 1863 and was the site of a "bread riot" initiated by wives of absent Confederate soldiers who stormed the building demanding flour. On June 2, 1865, Union forces took symbolic possession of the site by raising a flag, and the war officially ended there three days later. A new customhouse was built in 1891, and the old structure subsequently housed Federal offices, served as a post office and a Federal Court House. It is in the National Registry of Historical Places.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. U.S. Custom House, Galveston, Texas (1861)
Also see . . .
1. United States Customs House and Court House (Galveston, Texas, 1861). Wikipedia (Submitted on May 24, 2012, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas.)
2. Galveston Custom House. The Handbook of Texas Online, Texas State Historical Association (Submitted on May 24, 2012, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on October 23, 2020. It was originally submitted on May 24, 2012, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. This page has been viewed 814 times since then and 31 times this year. Last updated on June 19, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on May 24, 2012, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.