Anderson in Grimes County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Grimes County Courthouse
Unique Victorian Texas public building. Third courthouse here. Site, in an 1824 land grant from Mexico, was donated 1850 by Henry Fanthorp, first permanent settler in county.
Built 1891 of hand-molded brick with native stone trim. Vault is same one used in previous buildings; has twice withstood fires.
Tried here in 1930s, a Clyde Barrow gang member vowed he'd see court in infernal regions.
Erected 1965 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 8585.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. A significant historical year for this entry is 1891.
Location. 30° 29.322′ N, 95° 59.212′ W. Marker is in Anderson, Texas, in Grimes County. Marker is at the intersection of South Main Street (Loop State Highway 429) and West Buffington Avenue, on the left when traveling north on South Main Street. Mounted at left of main entrance. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 100 South Main Street, Anderson TX 77830, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of Grimes County (a few steps from this marker); In Memory of Jesse Grimes and Mathew Caldwell (a few steps from this marker); Veterans Memorial (a few steps from this marker); Grimes County, C.S.A. (within shouting distance of this marker); Rocky Creek Bridge (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Steinhagen Log Cabin (about 700 feet away); La Bahia Road (approx. 0.2 miles away); Fanthorp Inn (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Anderson.
More about this marker. Metal marker is somewhat weathered
Also see . . .
1. Grimes County Courthouse – Anderson. The Italianate courthouse designed by F.S. Glover and Company and completed in 1894 features both brick and native stone. It incorporates the east wall and foundations of an earlier courthouse that was destroyed by fire. Restoration completed in 2002. (Submitted on December 25, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. Sarah Randolph Bradley Dodson (1812–1848). Lacking silk or bunting, Sarah made the flag out of three colored squares of cotton cloth. The square nearest the flagstaff was blue with a white star centered upon it. The middle square was white, and the outermost square was red. The flag was carried by the Harrisburg company to Gonzales, where an army of Texas colonists was assembling. Between October and December  it went with the company through the battle of Concepción and (Submitted on December 26, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on August 27, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 24, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 208 times since then and 10 times this year. Last updated on June 19, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Atascocita, Texas. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 24, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. 4, 5, 6. submitted on December 25, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. 7, 8, 9. submitted on December 26, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.