Coldspring in San Jacinto County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
First Baptist Church of Coldspring
(Laurel Hill Baptist Church)
By 1850 the settlement was known as "Cold Springs." In 1853 several church members participated in the formation of an educational institution known as the Cold Springs Female College or Institute. Recognized as one of the early educational efforts of Texas Baptists, the school flourished for a short time. General James B. Davis (1790-1859), a friend of General Sam Houston and former adjutant general of the Republic of Texas Army, donated land for a church building, baptismal pool and cemetery. A small building was erected across from the cemetery in 1855. The Cold Springs Male and Female Academy, as it was called by 1861, closed with the advent of the Civil War.
The church building served on that site until a fire ravaged the San Jacinto County
The First Baptist Church of Coldspring continues a tradition of worship and service established by its founders. The congregation celebrated its 150th anniversary in 1998.
Erected 1999 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 12179.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Education • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1848.
Location. 30° 35.464′ N, 95° 7.654′ W. Marker is in Coldspring, Texas, in San Jacinto County. Marker is at the intersection of East Pine Avenue and Butler Street, on the right when traveling east on East Pine Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 100 East Pine Avenue, Coldspring TX 77331, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. San Jacinto County Courthouse (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Townsite of Coldspring (about 600 feet away); J. M. Hansbro's Law Office (about 600 feet away); Governor George Tyler Wood (about 600 feet away); Mount Moriah Lodge No. 37, A.F. & A.M. (about 700 feet away); Coldspring Methodist Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Old San Jacinto County Jail (approx. 0.4 miles away); San Jacinto County Jail (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Coldspring.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 21, 2018. It was originally submitted on June 19, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. This page has been viewed 149 times since then and 25 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 19, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.