Newberry in Alachua County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
Only after about 1870 did phosphates become an important world industry. In Alachua County, phosphates were discovered late in the 1870's, but as in other regions of Florida, the major developments in phosphate mining and processing began about 1889. The western part of Alachua County contained the major local deposits of rock phosphates Mines began to spring up after 1890, and by 1893, the Savannah, Florida, and Western Railway, already active in the area, extended its tracks southward from High Springs through the phosphate producing territory.
As a result of the mining activity and the appearance of the railroad, a new settlement appeared. A post office was established on March 19, 1894, under the name of Newtown; on August 1, the name was changed to Newberry. Most probably the new name was intended to honor Newberry, South Carolina, as many people had moved to North Florida from that town in the nineteenth century. The town of Newberry was incorporated in 1895. Phosphates continued to be the area's most important industry until the events of World War I reduced the market for the mineral.
Erected 1973 by Alachua County Historical Commission In Cooperation With Department of State. (Marker Number F-210.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Places. A significant historical month for this entry is March 1958.
Location. 29° 38.775′ N, 82° 36.765′ W. Marker is in Newberry, Florida, in Alachua County. Marker is at the intersection of West Newberry Road (State Road 26) and Northwest 255th Street, on the right when traveling west on West Newberry Road. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 25440 W Newberry Rd, Newberry FL 32669, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. City of Newberry Historic District (within shouting distance of this marker); Newberry Community Veterans Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Little Red Schoolhouse (approx. 0.2 miles away); Lynching in America / Racial Terror Lynchings in Newberry (approx. 0.8 miles away); William Bartram Trail (approx. 1.6 miles away); The Newberry Lynchings of 1916 (approx. 5.8 miles away); St. Peter Cemetery of Archer (approx. 7.2 miles away); David Levy Yulee and Cotton Wood Plantation (approx. 9.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Newberry.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 20, 2018. It was originally submitted on April 18, 2013, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 825 times since then and 57 times this year. Last updated on June 19, 2018, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 19, 2018, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on April 18, 2013, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.