Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Austin in Williamson County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Jollyville Community and School

 
 
Jollyville Community and School Marker image. Click for full size.
By D. Kevin Surbaugh, July 7, 2012
1. Jollyville Community and School Marker
Inscription.  This area was first settled in the 1840s by Henry Rhodes. He was soon joined by such pioneers as Elisha Prewitt, who fought in the Battle of San Jacinto, and Civil War veterans Elisha Rhodes, J. Bryon Jenkins, and William H. Thompson, whose home at this site served as a stage stop. In 1866 Confederate veteran John G. Jolly established the Jollyville community. The owner of a store and blacksmith shop, he gave land for a cemetery and for a school (200 ft. W), which was merged with Pond Springs in 1903. Later growth in the Jollyville area resulted from nearby urban development.
 
Erected 1983 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 9113.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: EducationNotable PlacesSettlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1866.
 
Location. 30° 26.202′ N, 97° 46.259′ W. Marker is in Austin, Texas, in Williamson County. Marker can be reached from Pond Springs Road north of McNeil Drive. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 12883 Pond Springs Road, Austin TX 78729, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles
Jollyville Community and School Marker image. Click for full size.
By Keith Peterson, June 24, 2018
2. Jollyville Community and School Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Jolly Cemetery (approx. 0.4 miles away); Pond Springs Community and School (approx. ¾ mile away); Pond Springs Cemetery (approx. 2.4 miles away); St. Stephen’s Missionary Baptist Church (approx. 3.4 miles away); Cedar Chopping in Central Texas (approx. 3½ miles away); Balcones Fault Aids Colonization of Texas (approx. 3.6 miles away); Waters Park (approx. 3.9 miles away); Native Americans at Bull Creek (approx. 4.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Austin.
 
More about this marker. The marker was standing at the side of the road in front of the Red Barn Nursery on Pond Springs Road. It was run into by a car and damaged. The marker was moved inside the nursery at the Thompson House, but has since been removed for repair.
 
William H. Thompson Home image. Click for full size.
By Keith Peterson, March 20, 2010
3. William H. Thompson Home
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 25, 2018. It was originally submitted on March 19, 2010, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 1,087 times since then and 75 times this year. Last updated on June 25, 2018, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. Photos:   1. submitted on July 7, 2012, by D. Kevin Surbaugh of Baldwin City, Kansas.   2. submitted on June 25, 2018, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas.   3. submitted on March 19, 2010, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=119231

Paid Advertisement
Sep. 28, 2021