Brownsville in Cameron County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
San Roman Building
Built in 1850 for José San Román, the building is an example of Border Brick architecture. Significant alterations have been made such as the varying height of the street facade. The San Román family occupied it for three generations. From 1912-1932, it served as a gathering sport for residents of all nationalities and was nicknamed the “League of Nations.”
Construido en 1850 para José San Ramán, el edificio fue diseñado en el estilo de ladrillo regional. El edificio ha sufrido varias alteraciones significativias como la fachada desnivelada de frente. La familia San Román ocupó el edificio por tres generaciones. De 1912-1932, era conocido como 'La Liga de Naciones' pues servía como punto de reunión para los ciudadanos de diferentes nacionalidades.
Erected by Brownsville Historical Association.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Notable Buildings.
Location. 25° 54.043′ N, 97° 29.859′ W. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1245 East Elizabeth Street, Brownsville TX 78520, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. San Román Building (here, next to this marker); Bollack Department Store (within shouting distance of this marker); Federal Court Site (within shouting distance of this marker); Celaya Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Brownsville Home of Charles Stillman (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Stillman House / Residencia Stillman (about 400 feet away); Stillman House Museum (about 400 feet away); Stillman House (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Brownsville.
More about this marker. Marker is in the Brownsville Historical Trail series.
Regarding San Roman Building. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark (1966)
Also see . . . José San Román. During the Union blockade in the Civil War, San Román became a key figure in the contraband trade carried on in Bagdad, Brownsville, and Matamoros. His firm served as a brokerage house for hundreds of cotton farmers west of the Mississippi River. By 1870 he was considered one of the wealthiest men in South Texas. (Submitted on June 28, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on July 4, 2018. It was originally submitted on June 27, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 78 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 28, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.