San Benito in Cameron County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Historic U.S. Post Office
as a Historic Municipal Building
Mayor – Cesar Gonzalez
Mayor Pro-tem – Joe. H. Hernandez
Commissioner – Mark Moody
Commissioner – Arnoldo Padilla
Commissioner – Valente Resendez
Commissioner – Celeste Ranchez
City Manager – Victor G. Trevino
City Secretary – Lupita Passement
EDC Director – Solomon Torres
Construction Manager – Javier Flores
Assistant City Manager – Hector Jalomo
Public Works Coordinator – Felix De Leon
In 1930, the City of San Benito donated parkland to the U.S. Government for the construction of a new Post Office at this site. It served the City and surrounding areas from its opening in 1933 until it moved into new quarters in 2001. Appraised at $578, 873, this building was purchased in June 2002 for $75,000 and the City expended $635,000, chiefly from the General Fund and the San Benito Economic Development Corporation, Inc., for its renovation. Much of the renovation work was completed by the City’s Public Works Department
Erected 2006 by City of San Benito.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. In addition, it is included in the Postal Mail and Philately series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1931.
Location. 26° 8.063′ N, 97° 37.785′ W. Marker is in San Benito, Texas, in Cameron County. Marker is on North Sam Houston Boulevard north of West Hicks Street, on the right when traveling south. Marker is located near the sidewalk, directly in front of the subject building, at the south side of the main entrance. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 401 North Sam Houston Boulevard, San Benito TX 78586, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. San Benito Post Office (a few steps from this marker); First Methodist Church of San Benito (within shouting distance of this marker); Water District Building (approx. 0.3 miles away); Getsemani Presbyterian Church (approx. 0.4 miles away); St. Benedict’s Church Matanza of 1915 (approx. 2.9 miles away); Historic Harlingen (approx. 5.7 miles away); Iraqi D-20 152mm Howitzer (approx. 6.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in San Benito.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. San Benito, Texas Post Oﬃce
Also see . . . San Benito, Texas. In 1904 Col. Sam Robertson went into partnership with James Landrum and Benjamin Hicks to form what later became the San Benito Land and Water Company. In January 1907 the company subdivided town lots and began sales. Initially the town was called Bessie, in honor of the daughter of Benjamin Franklin Yoakum, financial backer of the St. Louis, Brownsville and Mexico Railway, which served the community. The name San Benito was concocted by Rafael Moreno, an employee of Hicks. Moreno combined the given names of Robertson (Sam or "San") and Hicks (Benny), whom he called "Don Benito." A post office was established in 1907 under the name San Benito. (Submitted on July 1, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on November 30, 2020. It was originally submitted on July 1, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 186 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 1, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.