San Benito in Cameron County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
San Benito Post Office
At the time the local community was granted its first post office in April 1907 it was known as Diaz. Because another town in Texas had previously been awarded the name Diaz by postal officials, the name of this post office was changed to San Benito later that year. Colonel Samuel A. Robertson served as first Postmaster and Emma (Purvis) Agar became the first of several women postal clerks to serve in San Benito. Municipal delivery began in 1925 along two routes.
The post office operated from several locations in San Benito until relocating in 1933 to an impressive Federal office building newly constructed here on park land donated by the city. The post office opened on April 16, 1933, the day after an estimated 3,000 people attended an open house to inspect the building. Also housed in the Federal building at the time of its opening were offices of the International Boundary Commission, the U.S. Departments of Agriculture and Immigration, and the U.S. Civil Service Commission.
The post office served as a social gathering place for many people in the community. San Benito Post Office currently serves San Benito and
Erected 1992 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 4528.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. In addition, it is included in the Postal Mail and Philately series list.
Location. 26° 8.068′ N, 97° 37.78′ W. Marker is in San Benito, Texas, in Cameron County. Marker is on North Sam Houston Boulevard (State Highway 345) north of West Hicks Street, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 401 N Sam Houston Blvd, San Benito TX 78586, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 13 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Historic U.S. Post Office (a few steps from this marker); First Methodist Church of San Benito (within shouting distance of this marker); Water District Building (approx. 0.3 miles away); Historic Harlingen (approx. 5.7 miles away); Iraqi D-20 152mm Howitzer (approx. 6.6 miles away); Near Routes of Alonso de Leon Expeditions (approx. 10.8 miles away); Palo Alto Battlefield Palo Alto Battlefield (approx. 12.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in San Benito.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. San Benito, Texas Post Oﬃce
Also see . . .
1. Tenure of the Postmaster's Office. Lucius O'Bryan, the third postmaster, was captain in the army. Due to bandit troubles, many thousands of troops were stationed in and around San Benito. Raids by Pancho Villa caused havoc along the border until General John Pershing arrived to drive Villa and his troops into deep Mexico. (Submitted on May 21, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. San Benito, Texas. In 1904 Col. Sam Robertson went into partnership with James Landrum and Benjamin Hicks, to form what later became the San Benito Land and Water Company. In January 1907 the company subdivided town lots and began sales. The name San Benito was concocted by Rafael Moreno, an employee of Hicks. Moreno combined the given names of Robertson (Sam or "San") and Hicks (Benny), whom he called "Don Benito." A post office was established in 1907 under the name San Benito. (Submitted on May 21, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
3. 1st Name of the town now known as San Benito: "Bessie" (Submitted on July 1, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on July 5, 2018. It was originally submitted on May 20, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 117 times since then and 19 times this year. Last updated on July 1, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on May 21, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.