Franklin in Robertson County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Robertson County Courthouse
In 1879 the county seat had been moved for the fifth time, to Morgan, on the International & Great Northern Railroad. But because Texas already had a post office named Morgan, the town was renamed Franklin for the first county seat, which was named for pioneer Will Franklin.
Plans for a courthouse were begun that year; and in 1881 the construction was started under F. E. Ruffini, architect. Since then the building has been remodeled.
Erected 1968 by Texas State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 10943.)
Location. 31° 1.615′ N, 96° 29.217′ W. Marker is in Franklin, Texas, in Robertson County. Marker is at the intersection of North Center Street and West Decherd Street, on the left when traveling north on North Center Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 102 West Decherd Street, Franklin TX 77856, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 13 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Franklin (about 600 feet away, measured in Franklin Carnegie Library (approx. 0.2 miles away); Robertson County (approx. 1.4 miles away); Old Franklin (approx. 2.3 miles away); New Baden (approx. 3.8 miles away); Wheelock (approx. 10.4 miles away); a different marker also named Wheelock (approx. 10.4 miles away); Camp Hearne World War II Prisoner of War Camp (approx. 12½ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Franklin.
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
More. Search the internet for Robertson County Courthouse.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 3, 2018. This page originally submitted on July 2, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. This page has been viewed 64 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 2, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.