Whitehall in Muskegon County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Lumbering on White Lake / Staples and Covell Mill
side 1 – Lumbering on White Lake
Charles Mears built White Lake’s first sawmill in 1838. Four mills operated on White River tributaries during the next decade. Axmen, swampers, skidders, loaders, and haulers cut and moved pine, hemlock, and cedar logs to the White River, where they were floated to the White River Log and Booming Company pens. There they were sorted and rafted to mills that produced lumber, shingles, lath, and pickets. In 1883, there were twenty-four mills in Whitehall and the vicinity. Lumber was rafted down the lake and carried on barges to ships in Lake Michigan. Between 1838 and 1907 White Lake mills shipped over 3 billion board feet of lumber. The lumbering era ended on White lake when the Staples and Covell Mill closed in 1907.
side 2 – Staples and Covell Mill
The first steam-powered lumber mill in Whitehall was erected on this site in 1856. Purchased in 1871 by Hiram Staples and Lyman Covell of the Staples and Covell Lumber Company, it operated until 1874. The new mill, built in 1875, was the largest and most modern on White Lake and had four saws and an 80-foot
Erected 2006 by Michigan Historical Commission - Michigan Historical Center. (Marker Number L2167.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Horticulture & Forestry • Industry & Commerce.
Location. 43° 24.759′ N, 86° 21.038′ W. Marker is in Whitehall, Michigan, in Muskegon County. Marker is on Thompson Street (Business U.S. 31) 0.1 miles north of West Hanson Street, on the right when traveling north. Marker is located in Covell Park, near the Whitehall Trail parking lot. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Whitehall MI 49461, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 14 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. White Lake Yacht CLub (approx. 4˝ miles away); Jean Baptiste Recollect Trading Post (approx. 12 miles away); Muskegon Fishing Reef (approx. 13.1 miles away); Buster Keaton Union Depot (approx. 13.3 miles away); Muskegon Women's Club (approx. 13.3 miles away); Hackley Public Library (approx. 13.3 miles away); Central United Methodist Church (approx. 13.3 miles away).
Also see . . . Charles Mears. Charles Mears was a Michigan lumber businessman, a Chicago, Illinois capitalist, and a developer of the western part of Michigan. In 1837 Charles Mears built his first lumber mill on White Lake. Mears platted the village of Whitehall along with Giles B. Slocum around 1859. It was originally named “Mears” which in 1862 was renamed to “Whitehall” because of its association with nearby White Lake. The town is a strategic location for floating and distributing lumber to Lake Michigan. The town prospered because of this advantage. (Submitted on July 4, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on July 5, 2018. It was originally submitted on July 3, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 74 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 4, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.