Windsor Battlefield Tour
1840-51. Greek Revival. This structure, listed in the National Register of Historic Places, is one of the finest Greek Revival style remaining in Mississippi. The Chapel is in the familiar Greek temple form. Its two principal floors are raised above a high basement, a non-classical but functional arrangement which provides additional classroom space. The pedimented portico of six unfluted Doric columns is truly monumental.
The height of the ground floor piers provide a showcase for the magnificent cast iron stair which was donated to the college after Windsor burned in 1890. The six cast iron balustrade panels are also from Windsor. The roof gable is topped by a tower. Because there was no Greek precedent for a tower or steeple atop a temple, such a feature was a major problem in the design of a temple-type building where a tower or steeple was appropriate. The steeple or tower is a vertical form inherited from Gothic architecture, while Greek architecture is essentially horizontal.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Architecture.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Oakland College (here, next to this marker); Oakland Memorial Chapel (a few steps from this marker); Alcorn State University (1871) (a few steps from this marker); The Original Campus (a few steps from this marker); Alcorn Agricultural And Mechanical College (a few steps from this marker); Belles Lettres Building (approx. 0.2 miles away); Old Port Gibson to Rodney Road (approx. 0.3 miles away); Canemount Plantation (approx. 1.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lorman.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 8, 2018. It was originally submitted on July 7, 2018, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 97 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 7, 2018. 3. submitted on July 7, 2018, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana.