Tiffin Train Depot / Mad River and Lake Erie Railroad
B) By the mid 1830's, Ohio had developed a canal system that linked Lake Erie in the north to the Ohio River in the south. Despite the success of the canals, transportation companies searched for other methods to traverse the state. Tehy found their answer in the railroad industry, which proved to be much faster, cheaper, and more reliable than canals. located
Erected 2004 by Breidenbach's Painting, The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 6-74.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Railroads & Streetcars. In addition, it is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection series list.
Location. 41° 7.129′ N, 83° 10.737′ W. Marker is in Tiffin, Ohio, in Seneca County. Marker is at the intersection of North Monroe and Benner Street, on the right when traveling south on North Monroe. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 65 North Monroe, Tiffin OH 44883, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Camp Ball (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Fort Ball (about 500 feet away); Founding of Tiffin (approx. 0.2 miles away); Rezin W. Shawhan & the Seneca County Museum State's First Female Lawyers (approx. 0.3 miles away); Early Electric Illumination, 1884 (approx. 0.4 miles away); Camp Noble (approx. half a mile away); Mercy Hospital of Tiffin / The Sisters of Mercy Come to Tiffin (approx. 2.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tiffin.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 10, 2018. It was originally submitted on July 10, 2018, by Michael Baker of Lima, Ohio. This page has been viewed 99 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 10, 2018, by Michael Baker of Lima, Ohio. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.